Troll Joel

A few weeks ago I made up a story for Alyssa about “Princess Alyssa”. And Joel, I’m sorry to say, you were made into a troll. Other family members have also appeared so currently there’s Princess Alyssa, Troll Joel, Monkey Mommy, Dragon Daddy, Frog Lexi and, this just came tonight (sniff), Kitty Cat Joey.

And pictures because they’re so darn cute:

1 Dead Dog = $$$

Total cost of having Joey in the hospital: $1,156.80.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t regret it at all.  But it’s still a lot of money! I think we got Joel‘s ears fixed for less than that! And we got to keep him!

We haven’t got the itemized bill yet. But Christi picked up some meds for Lexi and that was the “previous balance”.

Joey Update: Waiting another day

Yesterday Christi called me and told me that the vet called her and gave her grim news. But when I talked to him last night, he wasn’t as forthcoming. He might be trying to “go easy” on me and not Christi. Christi said that the technicians at the vet commented on how much I seemed to love Joey. So maybe the doctor thinks Joey’s “my” dog and has to go easier on me.

When I talked to Christi yesterday she made it seem like we’d have to put Joey down, or at least make the decision to put her down, in the next 24-48 hours. But the doctor made me feel like we were still waiting for Joey to get better. He didn’t mention making any “hard decisions” with me.

Joey doesn’t look like she’s going to pull out of this. Her BUN and creatinine levels aren’t lowering enough. She’s not eating and her protein count is declining. We’re still waiting on some tests to come back — a couple of autoimmune tests and a bacteria test.

Joey Update

Joey is still at the vet. She’s had blood screens every day and some of the levels still haven’t gone down. Which means she’s 1) not yet better and 2) not allowed to come home. They have her on an IV to try to flush her kidneys. They did an ultrasound Tuesday and it showed 1) enlarged cortices on her kidneys and 2) some “sludge” in her gallbladder. The doc doesn’t want to treat the gallbladder until her kidneys are better — we don’t want the kidneys to have to try to metabolize (I don’t know if that’s the right word) any medications. Joey’s protein count is low and she wasn’t eating, so yesterday they were going to force-feed her. I stopped by on my way home but the doctor wasn’t in yesterday, so I really don’t know how that went. She was also supposed to have 2 more test ran yesterday — one to check for bacteria in her urine, which meant they had to get a sample directly from the bladder, ouch! and the second to check for an autoimmune deficiency. Which has been a problem in the past. She could have lupus, but I haven’t researched it yet, so I don’t know anything about it.

Switch!

Last weekend I had the kids to myself and last night/today they weren’t even here! Quite a change! Quite a difference!

In other news, Joey is spending the night at the vet’s. She’s been very lethargic,  not eating, limping, not “being herself” and more. They says is some kidney disease. We’ll know more tomorrow. Or maybe not. It could be Monday because the treatment of flushing her kidneys can take some time.