My Time with Safari

I received a ticket a few weeks ago about some users having issues with the new version of Safari, Apple’s web browser. I finally got around to working on it today and thought I would share my findings.

With the latest version of Safari (4.0.3), users were accessing our company portal which contains several iframes to include different applications. Four of these iframes would flash their content and then go blank. I found if I hid my one “true” portlet, then it would work fine.

I ran the validation tool and nothing jumped out at me so I started by having my portlet output nothing and slowly added things until the other iframes went blank. I found that if a <style> tag was output by the portlet, that would make the other iframes go blank.

On one of Apple’s forums, it was suggested that it had to do with people trying to use a doctype of XHTML strict, which wasn’t my case. It was those style tags. I have enough control so that I can move the CSS to the header of the page. Problem solved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *