Thanksgiving

Anyone have a funny Thanksgiving quote? The only one I can remember was from my brother: “I’m only friends [on Facebook] with people I don’t know.” It was also funny to see my face popup on his Droid.

I also was reminded of how much I love my wife. Since she didn’t come to my parents at the same time I did, I waited until she showed. At one point we all heard the door open and my mom said that is was probably “Chris”. I immediately got excited because I thought it was my wife instead of my brother. (Sorry Chris!)

Lexi celebrated her 10th birthday this Thanksgiving! (The big one-oh. Double digits.) We gave her treats and lots of love.

Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper sent me a “year’s worth” in the form of 24 free 12-pack coupons. First of all, that’s only 288 days if drink 1 Dr. Pepper a day, which is typical for me. Secondly, I got the coupons November 19th, 2009 and they expire December 31, 2009. Come on Dr. Pepper and M80.

Weekend

Kids = (Adam + Christi).copy();
Parents = Adam.getParents();
Duration = create(Saturday.night, Sunday.morning);
Parents.watch(Kids).for(Duration);
if (Behavior.good(Kids))
    Adam.addResponsibility(get(Kids));
else
    Parents.shorten(Duration);
    Parents.addResponsibility(remove(Kids)).wait(0);

My Time with Safari

I received a ticket a few weeks ago about some users having issues with the new version of Safari, Apple’s web browser. I finally got around to working on it today and thought I would share my findings.

With the latest version of Safari (4.0.3), users were accessing our company portal which contains several iframes to include different applications. Four of these iframes would flash their content and then go blank. I found if I hid my one “true” portlet, then it would work fine.

I ran the validation tool and nothing jumped out at me so I started by having my portlet output nothing and slowly added things until the other iframes went blank. I found that if a <style> tag was output by the portlet, that would make the other iframes go blank.

On one of Apple’s forums, it was suggested that it had to do with people trying to use a doctype of XHTML strict, which wasn’t my case. It was those style tags. I have enough control so that I can move the CSS to the header of the page. Problem solved.